Dr. Rodrigo Castro
Ciudad Universitaria, Pabellón 1. Intendente Guiraldes 2160
Departamento de Computación.
Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales,
Universidad de Buenos Aires.
(C1428EGA) Buenos Aires, Argentina (Google Maps)
+54-11-4576-3390 ext. 717
rcastro [at] dc.uba.ar
I am a Researcher at CONICET, Head of the Laboratory of Discrete Event Simulation, and Full-Time Assistant Professor with the Computer Science Department at the University of Buenos Aires.
I received my Ph.D. in Electronic Engineering (Control) from the National University of Rosario (Rosario, Argentina) in December 2010.
During 2012 and 2013 I was a Postdoc Associate at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH Zurich), Switzerland, with the Terrestrial Systems Ecology Group (Dept. of Environmental Systems Science) and the Modeling and Simulation Research Group (Dept. of Computer Science).
You can find a short bio here.
My research is focused on integrative modeling, simulation and control of heterogeneous complex systems.
I am interested in better theoretical foundations and practical tools for developing simulation models of complex systems. In particular I develop new methodologies and software tools for building complex models systematically, by the incremental and iterative coupling of heterogeneous subcomponents (multi-domain, multi-scale, multi-physics, multi-paradigm) under a common framework, relying on principles of General System Theory.
Some of my main current interests evolve around the following topics:
- Formalisms and languages: Discrete Event System Specification (DEVS), Quantized State Systems, Cellular Automata, Bond Graphs, Modelica.
- Disciplines: Model specifications, simulation techniques, numerical methods, visualization, scientific workflows.
- Applications (artificial systems): Real-Time system-in-the-loop simulation and control of data networks and computing systems.
- Applications (socio/natural systems): Global models, 3E (Economy, Energy and Environment) sustainability, bio-environmental phenomena.
- Adjunct Professor at DC-FCEN-UBA. (Since Feb. 2015)
- Head Teaching Assistant at DC-FCEN-UBA. (Feb. 2011/Feb. 2015)
- Teaching Assistant at DC-FCEN-UBA. (Feb. 2008/Feb. 2011)
1st. semesters: Discrete Event Simulation (Lecturer in Charge)
- Lecturer in Charge at EGRIET-FI-UBA. (Jul. 2007/continues -currently on leave-)
2nd. semesters: Industrial Informatics (postgraduate course)
- Castro R. and Kofman E. - "Activity of Order n in Continuous Systems” Simulation, Transactions of the SCS, 2014.
- Castro R., Cellier F., Fischlin A. - "The Eco-Bond Graphs Framework for Energy-Based Modeling and Simulation of Complex Dynamic Systems: Sustainability Analysis using Flows of Embodied Energy” JOCS, The Journal of Computational Science, 2014.
- Jacovkis P. and Castro R. - "Computer-Based Global Models: From Early Experiences to Complex Systems”. Enviado a JASSS-The Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, 2014.
- Bonaventura M., Wainer G., Castro R. - “Graphical modeling and simulation of discrete-event systems with CD++ Builder”, Simulation, Transactions of the SCS, 89 (1), 4-27, 2013.
- Castro R. - “Arguments on the Imminence of Global Collapse Are Premature when Based on Simulation Models” GAIA-Ecological Perspectives for Science and Society 21 (4), 271-273, 2012.
- Castro R., Kofman E., Cellier F. - “Quantization Based Integration Methods for Delay Differential Equations” Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 19 (1), 314-336, 2011.
- Castro R., Kofman E., Wainer G. - “A Formal Framework for Stochastic DEVS Modeling and Simulation”. Simulation, Transactions of the SCS, 86 (10), 587-611, 2009.
- G. Wainer and R. Castro - “A survey on the application of the Cell-DEVS formalism in cellular models”. Journal of Cellular Automata (JCA). 5 (6), 509-524, 2008.
- Galache, G. and Castro, R., ″A platform for Discrete Event Control of Software Systems using Models and Real Time Simulation: Application to Resource Consumption in a Web/JEE Application″, 13th. Argentine Symposium on Software Engineering ASSE2012, La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Aug. 27-31, 2012.
- Castro R., Ramello I., Bonaventura M., Wainer G., ″M&S-based design of embedded controllers on network processors″, Symposium on Theory of Modeling and Simulation (TMS/DEVS’2012), Orlando, FL, USA, March 26-29, 2012.
- Zapatero M., Castro R., Wainer G., Hussein M., ″Architecture For Integrated Modeling, Simulation And Visualization Of Environmental Systems Using GIS And Cell-DEVS″, Proc. of the 2011 Winter Simulation Conference - Phoenix, AZ, USA, 2011.
- Moallemi M., Wainer G., Bergero F., Castro R., ″Component-Oriented Interoperation of Real-Time DEVS Engines″, 44th Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS'11), Boston, MA, USA, 2011.
- Bonaventura M., Wainer G., Castro R., ″Advanced IDE for Modeling & Simulation of Discrete Event Systems″, Proc. of the 2010 Spring Simulation Multiconference - Symposium on the Theory of Modeling and Simulation (DEVS) , Orlando, FL, USA, 2010. (Multiconf. Runner-Up Overall Best Paper Award)
- Herrera L., Castro R., Lichtschein F., Godfrid C., ″Experiencias en la enseñanza de Informática en un Postgrado en Automatización Industrial″, XXII Argentine Congress on Automatic Control, Aug., 2010.
- Castro R.D., Kofman E., Wainer G., ″A DEVS-based End-to-end Methodology for Hybrid Control of Embedded Networking Systems″, III Conf. on Analysis and Design of Hybrid Systems. Zaragoza, Spain. Sept.16th -18th, 2009.
- Shafagh Jafer, Gabriel Wainer, Matías Bonaventura, Rodrigo Castro, ″Algoritmos conservadores para simuladores achatados DEVS y Cell-DEVS″, HPCS09: High-Performance Computing - 38th Argentine Conference on Computer Science and Operational Research, Mar del Plata, Argentina - Aug. 24-28, 2009.
- Castro R.D., Kofman E., Wainer G., ″Control Híbrido de Redes Embebidas Basado en DEVS″, RPIC09: XIII Workshop on Information Processing and Control. Rosario, Argentina. Sept. 16-18, 2009.
- Castro R.D., Kofman E., Wainer G., ″Stochastic DEVS Modeling and Simulation″,HPCS 2008 - High Performance Computing and Simulation Symp. - Ottawa, Canada. April 2008. 421-428
- G. Wainer, R. Castro, and E. Kofman, ″Advances in DEVS Modeling and Simulation Methodologies″, Invited Paper, Proc. of the 21st. European Modeling and Simulation Conf. Prague, Czech Republic, June 4th - 6th, 2007.
- Kofman E., Castro R.D., ″STDEVS. A Novel Formalism for Modeling And Simulation of Stochastic Discrete Event Systems″, AADECA XXº Congreso Argentino de Control Automático - 2006. Argentina.
- Castro R.D., Coronel J.L., Ferreira F., Tapia E., ″Modelado para el Estudio de Performance de una Red en Tiempo Real, Considerando Fuentes Estocásticas de Interferencia″, JAIIO XXXIVº Jornadas Argentinas de Investigación Operativa - JII 2005 - Jornadas de Informática Industrial 2005. pp. 115-129.
- Castro R.D., Coronel J.L., Ferreira F., Tapia E., ″Simulador de red CAN y Bridge wireless 802.11b con Caracterización de Canal Multipath″, AADECA XIXº Congreso Argentino de Control Automático 2004.
Theses and other publications
- Wainer G. and Castro R., "DEMES: a Discrete-Event Methodology for Modeling and Simulation of Embedded Systems", SCS Modeling & Simulation Magazine, Vol.2 Nr.2 Issue 5. April, 2011.
- R. Castro, "Integrative Tools for Modeling, Simulation and Control of Data Networks".Ph.D. Thesis (Download) Best PhD Thesis Award, National University of Rosario (UNR), CIFASIS-CONICET. December 2010.
Supervisor: Prof. Ernesto Kofman (UNR). Co-Supervisor: Prof. Gabriel Wainer (Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada)
- R. Castro and J.L. Coronel, "Research, Modeling and Simulation of an IEEE 802.11 Wireless Bridge for Controller Area Network" Electric Engineer Thesis (eq. Master in Applied Sciences, max. score). School of Exact Sciences, Engineering and Agriculture, National University of Rosario (UNR), March 2004.
Supervisor: Prof. Elizabet Tapia (UNR) Co-Supervisor: Prof. Fabiana Ferreira (UBA).
Research visits and stays
- Jul 2014: Invited Researcher. With TDAQ Group, ATLAS Experiment, CERN-European Organization for Nuclear Research, Geneve, Switzerland.
- Feb./Aug 2012: Invited Researcher. With Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin, Terrestrial Systems Ecology Group, ETH Zürich, Switzerland.
- May 2011: Invitation for collaboration agreement. With Dr. Enrique Ortega, head of the Laboratory of Ecological Engineering and Applied Informatics. State Univ.of Campinas, Brasil.
- Mar. 2011: Invitation for collaboration agreement. With Dr. Andreas Fischlin, head of the Terrestrial Systems Ecology Group, ETH Zürich, Switzerland.
- Aug./Sept. 2010: Invited experienced researcher. With Dr. Gabriel Wainer. Advanced Real-Time Simulation Laboratory (ARSLab) - Dept.of Systems and Computer Engineering, Carleton Univ., Canada.
- Nov./Dec. 2009: Invited trainee researcher. With Dr. Gabriel Wainer. Advanced Real-Time Simulation Laboratory (ARSLab) - Dept.of Systems and Computer Engineering, Carleton Univ., Canada.
- Oct. 2009: Invited trainee researcher. With Dr. François Cellier, Group of Modeling and Simulation, Dept.of Computer Science, ETH Zürich, Zürich, Switzerland.
- May/April 2008: Invited trainee researcher. With Dr. Gabriel Wainer. Advanced Real-Time Simulation Laboratory (ARSLab) - Dept.of Systems and Computer Engineering, Carleton Univ., Canada.
Awards and distinctions
- Best Conference Paper Award - SESDE 2013 International Workshop on Simulation for Energy, Sustainable Development and Environment. September 25-27, 2013 Athens, Greece.
- Best DEVS Ph.D. Dissertation Award - Symposium On Theory of Modeling and Simulation (TMS'14) April 13-16, 2014, Tampa, FL, USA
- Best Multiconference Paper Award Runner-Up (with student Matías Bonaventura) - Spring Simulation Multiconference 2010 (over 350 paper submissions) Paper: "Advanced IDE for Modeling & Simulation of Discrete Event Systems". April 2010.
- Award to be part of the research group at the "Limits to Growth Revisited" Winter School (Visselhoevede, Germany, from November 24th, to December 1st , 2012) issued by the Volkswagen Foundation, Germany.
- Institutional Recognition from the Dept. of Computer Science: "Outstanding Contribution" for the Chairing and General Coordination of the XXV Winter School of Science in Informatics". July 2011.
- Postdoctoral travel award from Univ.of Buenos Aires. Support to travel and elaborate a postdoctoral research plan with researchers at ETH Zürich. April 2011.
- Institutional Recognition from the Univ.of Buenos Aires: "Annual Recognition to Outstanding Lecturers Awarded Internationally". Nov. 2010.
- Postgraduate Research visit grant "Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP)" issued by the Government of Canada to visit Dr. Wainer's Advanced Real Time Simulation Laboratory at the Univ.of Carleton, Ottawa , Canada. 2008 and 2009.
- Postgraduate Education Scholarship from the Organization of Ibero-American States (OEI) and the Spain Superior Council of Scientific Research (CSIC). Postgraduate diploma: "Specialist in Best Practices in the Cooperation University-Enterprise for Development". March 2007-March 2008.
- Ph.D. Research Scholarship from Fundación Repsol-YPF. March 2007-March 2011.
- Industrial Prototype Award. Internship-like award issued by Cisco Systems: R&D project based on Cisco VoIP technologies. May 2002-Sept. 2002.